Thursday, October 15, 2009

Last Day in Rustenburg

Well, I am grubby, but I thought I'd drop by and leave a post. Tomorrow we head to Johannesburg for the weekend and I'm not sure whether we'll have internet again before we get to Capetown.

Check out Wales and Alden's Youtube page, where you can see some of their videos from the trip.

Today we cleared a piece of land at Tapologo and started putting in a rest garden for the staff. I am covered in red dirt and white dust from the rocks. I didn't really expect to be spending my time here landscaping, but so goes volunteering: you show up and do what they ask you to do.

Tomorrow morning we head for J'burg. Hopefully I can find my way to the Stable Inn, where we'll be staying for the weekend. Driving directions are interesting here, in part because they don't have street signs. The streets have names, but people rarely use them because, well, there are no signs, so the names don't really help. They give directions by the number of "stops and robots" you go through (and often by landmarks like "the big hill"), and they seem to like to tell me to "go down the highway" but not in which direction. I'm sure it works for those who live here, but it's fairly confusing for outsiders. In J'burg we'll be meeting with people from the So. Transvaal Synod, preaching at a church there, and visiting Soweto. I'll keep you updated as possible.

Tonight, we'll have a little farewell shindig with the new friends we've made in Rustenburg. Special thanks to the Hartleys (the family who owns the B&B and seems also to be involved in everything else in the city) for repeatedly saving our lives with tire repairs, directions, guided tours, laundry, coffee in the morning, drinks at night, food at all hours, and generally interrupting their lives to cater to our general helplessness.





No comments:

Post a Comment